Sunday, October 27, 2013

1 Year Reflections

We celebrated our 1 year anniversary on October 6th. This past year has been so many things, and difficult is not one of them. I had lots of people tell me that marriage was tough, especially the first year. But for us, it wasn't hard. Here is what I learned in our first year:

1. Men change when you get married
- What I mean by this statement is that men tend to revert to children-like behavior. They want you to take care of them, to coddle them, to cook and clean for them. Kyle used to be really competent and then we got married and now he can barely find his shoes before work in the morning.

2. Living together is so much fun
- Since I didn't live with Kyle until we got engaged, I was very excited to move in with him. Driving home late at night during the work week had become really annoying. It is really comforting to share a home with the person that you love.

3. Boys are gross
- Boys do not clean up after themselves like girls do. And they like to dry all the clothes on hot so it might be better to do all the laundry if you don't want your shirts to shrink.

4. Golf only gets more annoying
- I would say that Kyle and I fight over golf more than anything else. Mainly because he always wants to golf, it takes forever, and they always drink too much while they do it. Also, his friends don't care if you don't want him to play golf, they will call him over and over and over and wear him down until he feels like a chump if he doesn't go.

5. Being married is the best thing I have done
- I feel like, for me, I got engaged and married at the perfect time in my life. We knew each other well, loved each other, loved our families, and most importantly, enjoy time with each other. Genuinely enjoying time with your spouse makes things much easier.


We enjoyed so many things this year and I know we have so many wonderful things ahead. We have parents and siblings that are a wonderful example of marriage.

My life is infinitely better with Kyle by my side. He is kind, thoughtful, funny, crazy, sassy, determined, hard working, and sweet. He loves me with as much passion as he has and would do anything to make me happy. He also is a hot mess that drives me crazy daily.

I love him more than cheesecake and do not know what I would do without him. He has made my life more interesting and has brought more joy than I could have imagined. I am so lucky to have someone to share my life with who allows me to be myself, has the same values and makes me laugh every day.


3 comments: