Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Average Cost of a Wedding

Money. The root of all evil. Kyle and I have been blessed with a generous budget by our parents. I have an idea of how our budget compares to some others. And I know a wedding in New York is going to cost way more than a wedding in Tulsa, OK. But I can tell you one thing: Once you get engaged, figure out your budget pronto. It will help you make decisions. You will know what you are working with.

I am the one keeping track of all the wedding spending. Kyle asked me where we were budget wise the other night. I didn't have my wedding zip drive that is home to all my wedding documents so I emailed him the budget spreadsheet the next morning with a cost breakdown & what money we had left to spend. He was very impressed at 1) my ability to know exactly how much we have spent/what we have left and 2) to have it in a format that is easily updated. I think Kyle appreciates my organization skills now more than ever.

I saw this infographic last week on how much a wedding costs:

I found it interesting that Kyle and I are almost the exact age of the "average" bride and groom age. Cause here in OK, I was approaching old maid status compared to the 23 years olds tying the knot.
Also, our engagement is half of the average time.

Maybe after the wedding I will go back over this and compare each item on this graph to what mine cost.

I can tell you one thing: we will not be spending $12,000 on a honeymoon like I so often read about. Don't get me wrong, I would love a luxury 3 week honeymoon to Europe but that just ain't gonna happen.

4 comments:

  1. I don't get how people can afford those honeymoons without saving for years (and who is engaged that long?) or going into major debt! It's mind boggling to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Lord! Just looking at this stresses me out. We just eloped and put a down payment on a house. I do realize that a real wedding is an unforgettable experience though. You're going to do an awesome job planning this thing, girlie!

    If you decide to DIY any of your decorations and you need some help, I know a certain craft-obsessed friend named Holly who'd be willing to help! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Holly! I miss you! I have been contemplating coming back to book club after the wedding.

    Thank you for the offer to help me craft! I might take you up on that. Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. $12,000 on a honeymoon?! Maybe if someone gifted it to us but in my reality, that kind of honeymoon is just not going to happen!

    ReplyDelete