Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The First Few Weeks

The first few weeks after finding out were interesting. Three days after, we drove down to Dallas for a wedding where we would see my brother and sister in law and my cousins and my aunt and uncle for breakfast the next morning. Kyle and I had a plan for him to order me fake drinks all night and luckily, for me, there ended up being no booze at the wedding. During the 36 hours that we were in Dallas, my aunt and sister in law both asked questions related to me being pregnant. I dodged the questions like a speeding bullet!

I also had a work happy hour event that I needed to sneak my way through and then the big one, a bachelorette party in Austin. My 3 best friends would be on this trip and I was going to have to reveal. Due to the nature of a bachelorette party (lots of drinking), I knew I wouldn't be able to hide it from them. I didn't reveal the secret on the first night which meant I had to fake drink. I made friends with a bartender and she would fill my beer bottle up with water. In the hotel room on Saturday morning, we were getting ready for brunch in our room and I told the girls that I brought us cookies. Each cookie had a pink or blue stripe on it and instead of being really cool and collected, I just awkwardly stood in front of the beds holding the bag of cookies with my shaking hand. Once they realized what was happening, lots of happiness (and a few happy tears) followed. Now I had my 3 besties on board to help me hide my soberness all weekend.

Following that trip, we went to Baltimore for a wedding. At this point, I was 6 weeks pregnant and I had only told my 3 friends. We decided that we wanted to tell our best Pittsburgh friends, Dante and Erin, on this trip. I told Kyle that he got to tell them anyway he wanted. So we joined them for lunch and as soon as the first round of drinks came, Kyle made a toast to his "pregnant wife". Later he told me that he planned to say something different but got nervous and just blurted it out. After Baltimore, we departed on our anniversary trip to NYC!

Since we hadn't told anyone in the family and I knew they would be following the pics I put up on Instagram, I decided I had to order some fake drinks to throw them off.



I experienced the tiniest amount of nausea on the flight to Baltimore but I just drank a ginger ale and was golden. I also was starving the entire time we were in NYC. We would eat, walk around for a while, and then I would be ready to eat again. I remember sitting in the Phantom of the Opera thinking about how hungry I was and hoping we could get to some food very quickly.

While I certainly wish that I could have had a glass of champagne at our anniversary dinner, we will always be so happy to have celebrated our very first anniversary in NYC with our little one growing with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment