Monday, March 19, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Weekend

This past weekend started out like any other weekend. I went home on Friday and packed a bag and grabbed Sophie. Kyle and I planned on eating dinner at Charleston's fairly early so we didn't have to wait too long. I was rushed and it was humid and I had to stop at the grocery store after work to get all the food for the party we were hosting Saturday night. I busted into Kyle's house around 6:30 and hurried to change clothes.

We ate dinner and headed back home. We moved around some furniture when we got back and I went into the kitchen to start making some dip for the party on Saturday. Basketball was on in the living room but Kyle was in the kitchen talking to me. I turned around to place the bowl of dip on the counter and when I turned back around, Kyle was on one knee. Proposing!

There we were, in the kitchen, stirring dip, talking and all of the sudden we are getting engaged. I started crying and sweating (that won't surprise most of the readers that know me). I think the only thing he said was "Will you marry me?" but honestly it is all kinda blurry. It was so quick and unexpected. Right now as I type this, I am trying to remember every little detail. If only Sophie could talk.

He finally said, "look at the ring" since I was too spazzed out to pay attention. And then I saw this beautiful thing:

We called our parents (who already knew) and my brother's family (who also already knew). The little girls were so excited and they exclaimed, "we already knew!" when we called to tell them we were engaged.

Katie got the next phone call. And I got to surprise my aunt in person since she was in town visiting my grandma. Zach and Kristin were next, but Zach text me as I was typing out the message to him.

We were pretty much on cloud nine the rest of the night. It didn't happen until about 9:30 and by 11:30 we were both so mentally exhausted! Kyle's eyes were shut the minute his head hit the pillow. I had a 5k the next morning, and I was pretty sure that I would have plenty of wedding ideas running through my head to keep me busy on my run! The party happened as planned Sat night and I got to surprise all my friends when they walked in the door. And then I got a surprise when Elaina walked in the door. She drove in from OKC when I called to tell her. She had a bottle of champagne, card and a wedding magazine. She knew she couldn't miss out on all the fun that night :) (Love you, Laina!) And Sammi and Elaina and I pretty much found a corner and talked all night. (Love you, Sam!)

It still feels somewhat surreal. But at the same time, words cannot even describe the joy I feel. Not only is the ring more beautiful than I could have imagined, but Kyle is the perfect match for me. I know, I know all the lovey-dovey stuff everyone says. But for those of you that know us, I think you would agree.

To wrap this post up, I'm engaged!

Katie: Engaged June 2009

Heather: Engaged March 2012

I pinned this ring on Pinterest 12 days ago. Looks so similar to my ring, and Kyle had no idea what I liked.

I know what you are thinking, where is the picture of the newly-engaged. Believe it or not, we didn't take a single picture all weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Heather, that ring is breathtaking! Beautiful! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEA!!!! Congrats - so flippin' exciting! And your ring is stunning, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Congratulations, Heather!!!

    ReplyDelete