Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Christmas in Dallas

This past weekend we celebrated Christmas down in big D town. Even if I wasn't getting late Christmas and early birthday presents, I would still have loved this weekend b/c we just get to spend great time all together. 

My cousin's son, Conrad, celebrated his 6th birthday at his dad's new art gallery and since we were all in town, we took the girls and headed out for some birthday fun. 

Wearing her new jacket and my new birthday scarf from Katie



Saturday evening we opened presents and then relaxed by playing the original Mario Brothers on Nintendo and playing Bezzerwizzer

I got home in time on Sunday to make a soup to have for lunch this week. I was too lazy to take a picture but here is the recipe below if you would like to try it: 

Chicken and Black Bean Soup

1/2 rotisserie chicken
3 cans chicken broth
2 cans black beans- not drained 
1 can petite diced tomatoes- not drained 
1 small onion diced 
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin 
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoon olive oil
celery- optional 
Limes
1 cup salsa of choice- I used Pace Medium 
Cilantro- optional (although I can't fathom why you wouldn't use this!) 
Sour cream for topping

In a large heavy soup pot, saute onions in olive oil 3-5 minutes, until soft but not browned.  Add the ground cumin, chile powder, and garlic and saute about 2 minutes more.

Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, and salsa, and simmer 10 minutes.  Add black beans and chicken and simmer 15-20 minutes more.  While the soup simmer, wash, dry and chop enough fresh cilantro to make 1 cup chopped cilantro. and squeeze enough limes to make 3 T juice.

After 15-20 minutes, add the chopped cilantro and simmer 5 minutes, then add lime juice and cook 2-3 minutes more. Serve hot with fresh limes to squeeze into the soup, with sour cream and additional chopped cilantro to sprinkle on top if desired.

(I know this text is different and I can't figure out why and it won't change so just deal with it.) 
On Sunday, I turn 29. I am entering the last year of my twenties. I have mixed feelings about it. So in order to deal with those feelings (or not deal with them), I plan on drinking peach bellinis and making cake. My own birthday cake. And I am not ashamed of it because I like strawberry cake and I want to use my new cake pans and mixer. Paula Deen has a strawberry cake recipe that is sure to deliver. (Sorry about your diabetes diagnosis, Paula!) And I am going to make birthday popcorn. Sounds weird, but just take a look at it. 

So, happy birthday week to me! Lunch and shopping with my girlfriends Sat, taking Sophie and Jackson to the doggie park, dinner with my mom and dad and Kyle at Mi Cocina (Mambo Taxi, here I come!).





No comments:

Post a Comment