Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent

The talk 'round town is what everyone is giving up for Lent. In college, I lived with a Catholic girl (hey Nat!) that always practiced Lent. She usually gave up meat. My roomie now is not Catholic but she usually gives up something for Lent. In the years past, she has given up Diet Dr. Pepper. This year she is not giving something up, but adding a daily Bible reading. I thought this was a great idea. I decided that I need to have a 10 minute quiet/prayer time everyday. I usually pray when I go to bed, but I always end up falling asleep. So this morning, I prayed while I was blow drying my hair. I can't hear the TV during this time and it is a great time to focus on what I would like to pray about before my day starts. I really enjoyed this time and plan to make this a new addition to my morning routine.

Yesterday, I saw on Facebook that a friend of Rowdy Red was giving up Facebook for Lent. And I thought was the best thing I have ever heard. I seem to have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. Facebook can be a great tool for sharing info/pics, writing silly inside jokes on your friends walls, and reconnecting with old friends. But Facebook also has a level of stalker in it. I can see anything that anyone writes on any of my friends walls, including my boyf. And hypothetically, what if a female from high school or childhood or college writes on his wall, a female I don't know, and I start thinking, who are you and why are you talking to him? That seems crazy, right? While crazy, it seems inevitable. Jealousy is a natural reaction and is ok when tamed. But when one can sit behind a screen and peruse old photos of people that used to be in a relationship, and let their mind go crazy, it is not ok. And it is not just my boyf that can cause this hate relationship with Facebook. It is old friends, or my ex's, or co-workers who snoop too much and then send me creepy messages telling me how nice I look (oops, did I just say that out loud).
Anyway Facebook, while I love you and you keep me entertained and informed, maybe I need to be less informed. So I am going to check Facebook less, and not just for Lent.

Tomorrow, Rowdy Red and I are going to the Thunder game with Sammi and Clark and riding in a limo to the game. How did we score this, you might ask. Well, I don't exactly know, but I ain't complaining! Sammi got us the tickets (thank you, Sam!) and I believe Clark's friends are the limo-ers. I am excited. This will be the 2nd time in my life to ride in a limo. Rowdy Red made fun of that little fact, but honestly there weren't many reasons to take a limo in Ft. Gibson.

Today is my sister-in-law Erin's birthday. I would like to give a shout out to the best sister-in-law I could ever ask for. Love you, E!
Summer 2008 




OSU football 2010

1 comment:

  1. I too have been guilty of facebook addiction. It doesn't really cause any jealousy for me though. Maybe it's because my man doesn't use fb all that much, or maybe it's because any chicks he interacts with there don't stand a chance. Lol someone's cocky!

    Cheers to great in-laws! One of the best things about having two brothers is that it means I get two amazing sisters-in-law.

    ReplyDelete