Monday, June 23, 2014

What I've Learned in a Month

Because time does not stand still, Sam turned 1 month old. I almost cried when I realized it was happening. Although a part of me is definitely excited for all the fun we have ahead of us! Smiles, laughs, and so much more!

After being a mother for 1 month, here are a few things I have learned: 

1. There is no easy way to get a baby out of your body
When I checked into the hospital, the nurse asked me my pain level. I said I was a zero. That was because I wasn't having any contractions and then I realized that I could have been in labor and that I could have been in a lot of pain. And the thought of that made me realize that either way that it happens for you, it is not easy, it is scary (especially your first time) and that getting an IV still sucks. 

2. A catheter ain't so bad
I have never had one of these and had no idea what to expect but when I realized that you don't even feel the sensation of going, it just drains your bladder for you. I had mine in for 16 hrs and was a little bummed when I realized that I was going to have to start getting out of bed to pee. 

3. Clothing Optional
Mainly for baby, not for you. Sam started spitting up around 3 weeks. After almost every feeding he would spit up 3-4 times. All over me, himself, the floor, our bed, his bed. I was changing his onesie constantly. So I decided to let him hang in his diaper for most of the morning or for a little while after each feeding.

4. Sleep
Don't you love when you are pregnant and people say "Sleep now while you can!" Oh hahaha..yeah because you can't bank sleep hours and use them when you have a baby that wakes up every 2 hours at night.

Here is what "they" say that I do agree with: sleep when the baby sleeps. I know that sometimes you can't sleep then because you need to shower, do the laundry, or many other things. But when you can sleep, turn off the tv, mute your phone and sleep with that sweet baby.

5. Water Cup
Before I had Sam, I bought a purple Tervis-type mug with a straw and it has been a lifesaver. When you have a baby attached to you, it is very hard to open a bottle of water. So run out and get yourself one or two and thank me later.

6. One sided
This relates to breastfeeding. Until Sam was 10 days old, he would latch very well on the left and would act like a crazed nutso when trying to latch on the right. That led to me to holding him in a very strange position to nurse him and when my milk came in, my left boob was almost twice the size of my right. It took about 3 days to even out and it took about a month for my milk to regulate all together.

Also, I would like to mention something I never read about/heard about until a lovely nurse gave some to me. Sugar water. It entices newborns to latch on. And it works! I used tons of it once we got home. My mom made me a batch and I kept it in a Tupperware with a dropper beside my bed. Don't be afraid to try it out if you are having some latch probs.

7: Sleeping In / Night Time 
If you are anything like me, you are a sleepy head. I always wake up tired and struggle to get out of bed. When Sam cries around 6-8 am, I am so groggy but I don't have the option of hitting snooze. There are many mornings that I will feed him and he will fall back asleep and I do the same. And I don't feel one ounce of guilt about catching some more zzz's and waking for the day around 10am.

And prepare yourself that your bed time routine is about to be non-existent. About 2 months before I had Sam, I purchased this really expensive night cream. And for the first 3 weeks of his life I maybe used it twice. And when he was about 2 weeks old, I was pacing the bedroom with him and looked at Kyle asleep in bed and started to cry. I missed going to bed with Kyle and talking about the day and watching tv. So prepare yourself that things you may not even think about will change.

8: Everything is True 
Have you heard all those stereotypical things about new motherhood?
- It's messy
- You care a lot about your baby's poop
- You and your husband will be closer than ever and yet argue over the smallest thing

Well, they are all true. I realized that very soon into this ballgame. I was covered in spit up, breast milk, and a little urine and wanted to smack Kyle around for leaving a piece of mail on the counter. You are tired, scared, happy, frazzled, etc. Just go with it.

9. Meals 
I didn't realize how life saving it would be to have meals brought to us by friends. Embrace these visitors and gladly accept their food.

10. Your Experience 
No matter how your tiny human entered the world, it was your experience. No one else's. Embrace that experience and share it with anyone that wants to hear it.

8 lbs 14 oz
21.75 in
 



No comments:

Post a Comment