Tuesday, June 10, 2014

An Unplanned Planned Delivery

38 weeks, 3 days. Headed to my last appt!

On Monday May 19th, I went to my 38 week appt. My mom met Kyle and I there and we all went into the ultrasound room for the 4th week in a row to get a another look at how Baby G was doing. At this point, every ultrasound had gone pretty well and we felt confident that the baby was healthy and just small. And still breech! This time was no different. The baby was moving around and everything looked good. I noticed that the measurements of his head and abdomen were in the 2nd percentile.

We finished up in the ultrasound room and took our places in the exam room. In comes Dr. Butler. I could tell immediately from her tone of voice that something was up. She quickly addressed his small measurements and said she wanted to move up his delivery. At this point, I was scheduled to go in on Friday for a c-section. She asked me if I had eaten lunch today. Uh oh. That meant she wanted to take him today if possible. That wasn't an option since I ate some Fritos before the appt. (I ate Fritos before every ultrasound b/c once he moved around a ton after I did that so I decided to keep it up). She said she wanted me to go over the hospital and get checked in. My mom responded with "Today?!". Yes, today. She would do the c-section tomorrow afternoon.

I will never forget the look on Kyle's face. Panic. Shock. He kept saying "Friday" to Doctor Butler. His boss was out of town and he was scheduled to cover for him while we had the baby. On Friday. I was the least panicked person in the room. I felt kind of excited. I had already started working myself up to be super nervous about Thurs night/Friday morning so this spur of the moment change in plans was almost like going into labor.

Doctor Butler stepped out of the room to call the hospital and arrange for my arrival and delivery the next day. Kyle had to rush out to go finish up all of his work obligations. My mom and Kyle were also on their phones alerting all family of what was happening. His parents were in Pittsburgh and had less than 24 hours to get here in time for the baby's arrival. Dr. Butler came back in and told me to go home and get my bag and then go get checked in to the hospital. They would hook me up to the monitor and keep an eye on the baby. As long as everything looked ok, I would deliver him around noon on Tues.

Mom and I left in somewhat of a daze and headed to the house to get my stuff. My bag was partially packed and I just started throwing stuff together. I grabbed another (huge) tote bag and just threw anything I might need in. I had a couple of appts to cancel and once I felt like everything was in order, we headed to the hospital. We got checked in and I was hooked up to the monitor. We could see his heart rate, my heart rate and my blood pressure. It was so neat to watch his heart rate rise and fall with my movements. Around 5pm, my adrenaline wore off and I was exhausted. Kyle arrived around 6:30 with dinner and his bags. Once they determined that Baby was ok, I was given the go to eat dinner and was told to have nothing else after midnight.

All checked in!


We spent our last night together in room 219 at Hillcrest South. We watched the Thunder play basketball and drifted off to sleep thinking about our baby that was finally going to join us tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment