Friday, October 19, 2012

Since I Got Married

Kyle and I got married 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Seeing him wear a wedding ring has been one of the best feelings. I had 7 months to get used to seeing my beautiful ring on my finger and now he has to get used to his. He is pretty good about putting it on first thing when he wakes up, but he swears it hinders his golf swing so he has to leave it in his locker.

The level of exhaustion that I felt after the wedding was like nothing I had ever experienced. I would imagine it is something like a new mom bringing home her infant. Except no one was expecting me to feed or change them. After our reception, we drove to the hotel and changed clothes. We went down to a bar right beside the hotel to meet up with our guests. I was beyond hungry at this point since I never ate dinner (note to guests: if you see the bride sit down at her plate to grab a bite, wait until she gets back up to come talk to her. She def wants to visit with you, but she also needs to eat!)

I grabbed a mini box of Wheat Thins in the hotel lobby and walked over to the bar. I could barely stay away so Sammi started taking my hair down. There were tons of bobby pins and she caressed my head for a few minutes and I could no longer stay awake. I said my good nights and went upstairs to crash.

The next morning we had a brunch for all our guests so we could visit with them one last time before they had to leave. After the brunch, we headed home with most of our family and some friends to watch the Steelers game.

At this point, I had lost my voice and was still in a "wedding trance". By Tuesday, I started to feel somewhat normal again. Although we went to Sam's with Kyle's parents and I almost fell asleep on the car ride over there. I got to enjoy 2 days off work before starting my new job as Mrs. Heather Gatewood on Oct 10th.

The new job has been great so far. My position is Fine Wine Sales for Republic National Distributing Company. My boss is a friend that I met playing kickball. The first few days were really overwhelming. We sell tons of wines, spirits and beers and I am in a position that needs to be familiar with all the wines and spirits that we sell. I mainly focus on wine, which is overwhelming in itself. Learning all the different varietals and regions and even how to use a corkscrew that isn't fancy. Just the old school kind like this:

It is harder than you think. And trying to do it in front of a sommelier is a little nerve-wracking. I know this person knows tons more than I do so please just let me not screw up taking the cork out of the bottle!

The perks of the job are:

Working from home- once I am finished training
Working 9-3
Free wine! I helped with a Merryvale/Starmont tasting on Tuesday and brought home 6 bottles of wine.

Downsides of the job:

Working holidays

We planned on going to Pittsburgh for Christmas this year but I will have to be selling product in a liquor store on Christmas eve. Bumsky!

Our wedding pictures are ready! We are going out to the studio on Tuesday to take a look and pick the ones we want in our album. I am beyond excited to see them!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are coming out of your post-wedding state of exhaustion! And I think your new working hours are perfect. Just think how easy it'll be to fit in the gym, some errands, and have plenty of time to make dinner. Y'all are livin' the dream, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, I'm exhausted now (I just am trying to get back in the swing of things after a school break) so I can't imagine how exhausted I'll be after the wedding! But I'm so glad you're getting out of it, your new job sounds GREAT, and I can't wait to see wedding pictures: I bet they're all gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete