Wednesday, November 16, 2011

"Offended"

Several times, I have mentioned a site I frequent called The Frisky. While this site is entertaining and links all kinds of articles, they also find a way to drive me nuts with all of their "offended" "feminist" talk.

For many years, I have dislike the word "offended". I think it is misused and overused. Maybe it is just because I don't tend to get "offended" very often. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of offensive things happening in the world. I just think our society has a gone a little overboard. Public figures, celebs, political candidates can barely open their mouth anymore with a group of people claiming they are "offended" by their comments. Here is a story that drives me nuts. PETA is mad at Mario Brothers (yes, the video game) because Mario wears a raccoon suit and has special powers and they think it send the message that it is ok to wear fur. Story here.
Come on, PETA. I seriously doubt that the people that are playing Mario Brothers are thinking, "well I should go get a fur coat made out of raccoon because Mario wears one in the game". Just seems so over the top to me.

There is a particular writer on The Frisky that finds something "offensive" in almost every article she reads. I realize that is her job as a feminist blogger, and maybe I should just stop visiting the site, or stop reading her stories. But I just can't help but get annoyed at almost every one of her articles. She once posted a link to an article about a college women's soccer team that had won the championship for the first time in school history and in her own comments in italics next to the article said "Can someone explain the importance of this to me?"

Are you kidding me?! You gripe constantly about how women aren't treated equally, and them make an idiot comment like that on a story that you linked and should clearly make sense to you, if you had a brain. (end rant). Anyway, she got grilled in the comments section, which I was happy about.


Now onto the next. Here are some recipes I plan on trying during the Thanksgiving holiday.

I plan on taking these to Katie and Louie this weekend:

Cake Batter Cookies

I making this for work on Friday. Already made it once and it was divine. And easy.

How festive does this sound?! I can't wait to try this next week
Cranberry Cream Cheese Dip
We are headed to Dallas this Sat to attend a surprise party. More details on that after we attend. Friday night we will be watching OSU stomp Iowa State. We are staying with my love Katie and her hubby Louie on Sat night. I wish she lived closer so I could see her all the time. Sunday Kyle's parents arrive and will be here through Thanksgiving. Looking forward to lots of family time this weekend and next week!

3 comments:

  1. i wholeheartedly agree with the whole offended thing. come on people, there are better things to do than gripe!
    i pinned that cranberry dip on pinterest a while back - if you make it let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...I'll be making that cranberry dip and pumpkin cake as well! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh PETA is notorious for getting all bent out of shape over stupid crap. They drive me crazy because they could be much more credible if they'd just stop being so nutty.

    ReplyDelete