Sunday, February 1, 2015

What I've Learned in 8 Months

I decided I should write this post before Sam turns 9 months so here goes: 

1. You won't relax on vacation 

Remember the days when you went to the beach with a book, that oil spray to increase your chances of getting a tan, and a bluetooth speaker? Well, replace that with 30 prep time for swim diaper, non-toxic 50spf sunscreen and sound machine in case he decides to sleep on the beach. Yeah, sooooo relaxing. 



2. You will buy baby food and it will be a waste 

Sam loved baby food at first. He never ate enough to finish a whole pouch or plastic carton but he was all about it. Now? Get that baby spoon outta that gunk and just give me what's on your plate. Lately I have been throwing out opened baby food because I am still trying to see what/when he will eat it. 



3. You miss things 

I have missed a few events that I never anticipated missing. Sick baby, exhausted mother, Kyle not home from work so no one to watch the baby. Sometimes you just miss things. 

4. One day does not equal everyday 

One day Sam napped in his crib like a champ. The next? Cried every single time his little red head hit the mattress. Sam is very consistent about not being consistent. I am constantly trying new things because nothing ever works long term. Except the boob, he never tires of the boob. 

5. Momma 

He said it, I swear he did. And my mother in law heard it. 

6. Doggies

Having a little fur companion for Sam has been so great. Sophie loves him and he loves crawling after her and trying to tear her ears off. 


7. There will be a blowout 

My mom (thank the Lord she was with me) and I were eating. I mentioned he hadn't pooped. I saw it as we were walking out of the restaurant. It. was. everywhere. That poor bathroom will never be the same. 

8. You will hear the laughter

But you won't know the context. So many times I have been in the other room, upstairs, etc nursing Sam or putting him to sleep while everyone else goes about their bizness. We were recently on vacation and every night I went upstairs to put Sam to bed and the party continued without me. One night I took a Corona with me so I could feel like I was included. It can be hard to feel like you are missing out but I know my presence is still there and in these moments, I am simply being a mother. 


Happy 8 months, you tiny ball of energy. 
I never knew I could do so much. 

Oh, and Amazon Prime. Get it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment